Why have I failed as an entrepreneur ?
- I knew everything.
- made a good sprint, but couldn't finish the run. No more oxygen/energy.
- did not take care myself; emotionally and physically
- did not listen people very well. I've heard them but did not actually listen. I kept on talking and talking.
- being an expat and entrepreneur is somewhat crazy when you know you're going to have visa problems. Too much instability in one man's life drains too much energy.
- did not use my time wisely
- tried to do too much
- should be less harsh on myself and others
- was(am) stubborn when I should not be
- was inconsistent ( ran ~90km in June '12 then in the last 6 months I only ran 30km )
- did not ask for help
- never did true problem description. Should have write it down
- should have connected with more people. Relationships matter a lot.
- did not plan ahead the business
- do not write a 100 page business plan does not mean don't write it at all
- started working on other ideas and lost focus when business needed the most
- should take the money when a beta user offered to pay
- should have postpone opening company till we have a paying customer base.
- should have asked money from people
- rather than having a $400 Amazon EC2 instance, €30 p/m server was enough.
- scalability problems should be solved when there are scalability problems.
- have stuck in maker's obsession
- wrote too much code. 30% became immediately unnecessary
- did not prioritize what I should be working next
- should have learnt Celery before
- should have learnt Flask before
- more Backbone less spagetti JS.
- less code, less code, less code.
- my job is not programming. My job is delivering value using programming.
- should release the app much more earlier
- should have fixed the showstopper bug and email users a.s.a.p. to say that we're sorry. ( Some users registered and tried the app when they shouldn't but since I left the Google login open, they've registered and saw a non-working app )
- did not look for a market very well
- did not able to explain the product in simple terms
- did not try to sell the product, I've just build it
- kept 600 people waiting for a demo while having a product
- should have integrated payment gateway much more earlier
- Facebook & Twitter do not have quality content
I am a fool. A big one.
Tweet Vote on HN